Write a review
- 8 large lemons
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 red or green chillies
- Pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 1. Wash one lemon well. Dry the skin and peel thinly. There must be no white pith on the skin. Cut the peel into thin strips.
- 2. Squeeze the peeled lemon and 3 others. Strain the juice and reserve.
- 3. Peel and segment the remaining 4 lemons.
- 4. Place the peel, lemon juice, lemon segments and salt into a bowl and mix well.
- 5. Place the chillies in cold water with the bicarbonate in a small saucepan and bring to the boil for a few seconds.
- 6. Drain, dry and pound the chillies into small pieces.
- 7. Add to the lemon mixture then pack into dry sterile bottles with air-tight lids.
- Serve as a relish or side dish. Very good with fish or chicken.
Penny Lane Lodge http://pennylanelodge.co.za/